Saturday, November 20, 2010

No more floating!

I've had some portfolio reviews with college reps lately, and although they went really great (MICA especially liked me - he placed me in the top 25% of the portfolios they reviewed!) they gave me the same advice: do more characters + environments. I have some pieces that are just environments, and some that are just characters, but not a lot of the two together.

So recently I've been challenging myself to draw a background with every single character I draw. No more people floating around in space! As a result it takes me a LOT longer to sketch, because I have to think of little scenes. The quality of my drawings isn't really better, but I feel like I'm drawing more interesting things! I also feel like I could get story ideas out of this.

What do you think about that? I especially like the cave explorer and the kid climbing the tree.




Labels: