Friday, August 27, 2010

Art School Portfolios

So next year I'll be a senior in high school! I'll soon be applying to art schools all around, which means - portfolio time!

But for the last 3 years I've been attending a math/science school - I didn't even take art last year! So I'm pretty much on my own for the impending portfolios.

So, I've been trying to come up with concepts for some more serious/"observational" things and I wanted to show you guys! If anybody has any portfolio tips or whatever give 'em up, please!


One site I was on recommended drawing some sort of environment? I could directly observe a vaccuum and a patio, and I could photo-reference the city and whatever else... there isn't really much to this one but I still kind of like it.



I have a lot of makeup containers and a lot of wigs to position for this sort of concept... I just would like to do a still life with makeup, fruit and skulls are so overrated.



For self-portraits, I figure schools get a lot of either airbrushy glamor shots, or super-shaded "I'M SO HARDCORE" type portraits... I thought it would be interesting to do one from the back! I have a lot of freckles from the sun and stuff, and also I have a really complicated hair texture, so I think it'd still be interesting without being "DURRR SELF PORTRAIT"

I wanted to draw 5 serious/observational things and then have all the rest be comics, illustration, and graphic design... I'm aiming for about 15 pieces total.

Sorry for all the sketches, I felt bad because I'm actually drawing everyday but it's just often not stuff I can post!

ALSO I recently got access to some screen printing stuff, so expect some AWESOME SCREEN PRINTING. Thanks for your time guys!

Labels: