Friday, May 21, 2010

Comic Color Tests

I think that when you're doing a webcomic, there isn't really any excuse for not using some type of colors in your design (unless the story is so abstract or so serious that it absolutely must be colorless!) But I generally hate realistic coloring. Not only is it distracting but it's usually ugly. Look at the room you're sitting in; does everything (including any people or animals or scenes out the windows) look good together?

Not that everything always has to look good, but if it doesn't look good there should be a reason for it. Nothing should be ugly if it doesn't need to be, right?

So I spent a loooong time today testing different palettes for a planned comic (that one alone page I posted before was part of it, but I'm gonna restart in a different format!)


More Under the Cut!







This one is closest I'll get to "real" coloring, and even this seems like too much... It also seems like too brown, almost vintage or cowboy, and thats like the opposite of what this comic is!



I like this palette a lot for a picture, but I think it might get a little cheesy in a comic. For any real visual cue the important things in a panel would have to be that bright pink! Another note - the background in the one sketch is from google sketchup! Theres a really cool style function that makes it look like a drawing, which I think is very useful for comics... but that's a whole other blog post!



I think it would be really, really fun to do a comic in this palette, but it's a little too dark for this comic!



This one is probably my favorite one! I like that there is a wide range of colors without there being a lot of them. It really makes the opportunity for a lot of different contrasts and visual cues and junk, which is what I want!

What do you guys think of these?

Labels: ,